Know who and how to locate and contact your local and state legislators. Remember to be courteous when contacting our officials. Contact both your local assembly and senate representatives and the sponsors of the various bills often by multiple Congressional representatives who are out of your district. Don’t forget to contact the Governor and the President of the United States. (excerpt from Janet Friedman: Staying Informed on Equine Welfare Issues)
- State & Local Government Links
- Locating your Congressional Leaders by State
- Animal Law Coalition
- Documentary on Horse Slaughter – Note Current bills regarding horse slaughter arePrevention of Equine Cruelty Act, H.R. 503/S.B. 727(House Bills noted by H.B. # and Senate by S.B. #.)
- Committee on Natural Resources – Addresses the legislative issues affecting our national resources which include Bureau of Land Management (BLM) who manage the wild horses and burros.
- The Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act of 1971